Updates Saturday, 22 August 2026 Scholarships
Bar & Bench

214 UNICAL Students Sue University, VC and Tinubu Over Removal From Law Faculty, Demand N5 Billion

The students say their admission letters, fee payments and JAMB regularisation created binding contracts that the university could not unilaterally cancel.

214 UNICAL Students Sue University, VC and Tinubu Over Removal From Law Faculty, Demand N5 Billion

Two hundred and fourteen second-year law students of the University of Calabar (UNICAL) have sued the institution, its vice-chancellor, its registrar and President Bola Tinubu, seeking N5 billion in damages over their removal from the Faculty of Law.

The Suit

The students filed the case at the Federal High Court, Abuja, on 12 August, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1825/2026. UNICAL, Vice-Chancellor Offiong Offiong and the registrar are listed as first to third defendants, with President Tinubu named as fourth defendant in his capacity as the appointing authority for the vice-chancellor.

Background to the Dispute

The controversy began after UNICAL management, on 5 August, directed the 214 students to return to the departments where they were originally admitted. Mr Offiong explained that only 221 of 435 second-year LL.B students had been formally admitted into Law, while the remaining 214 had transferred in from other departments. He said the affected students would not qualify for the Nigerian Law School under their current admission status, and the university temporarily locked their portals to enforce the transfer, while offering fee refunds or free tuition in their original departments.

Students' Account

According to an affidavit by second claimant Ogana Lawrence Lukpata, the students were admitted into the Faculty of Law between the 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 sessions, paid fees for nearly three years, sat examinations, and progressed as far as 300 Level. He said the trouble began when Mr Offiong, who succeeded Florence Obi as vice-chancellor in December 2025, declined to sign JAMB regularisation documents processed under his predecessor, forcing the students to repeat the process. The students say they received no query or hearing before their portals were locked.

Legal Questions Raised

The suit asks the court to determine whether the vice-chancellor can unilaterally invalidate admissions and approvals made under his predecessor, and whether the university violated Section 18 of the University of Calabar Act and the students' right to fair hearing by locking their portals without an investigation or finding of misconduct. The students also want the court to rule on whether President Tinubu has a statutory duty to intervene.

Reliefs Sought

The claimants are asking for a declaration that their admission letters, fee payments, course registrations and JAMB regularisation created binding contracts, along with a permanent injunction barring the university from demoting, transferring or restricting their access as law students. They have also filed a motion seeking interim orders to restore their portal access pending determination of the substantive suit.

The dispute carries wider stakes for legal education in Nigeria, given its implications for how universities handle disputed admissions after students have already progressed through a programme in good faith.


TagsCourt of Appeal, Social Democratic Party, Party Leadership Dispute, INEC, Federal High Court

Was this story helpful?

Responses (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Share this story

All legal news